The Arc.org, a national community-based organization advocating for and serving people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, reported that last week, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) released his Fiscal Year 2012 spending plan (known as a budget resolution). This plan pulls the plug on people with disabilities, seniors, students, and the middle class to pay for tax cuts for millionaires by targeting Medicaid, Medicare, Discretionary Programs and Health Care Reform. If this changes are allowed to proceed it is believed that people with disabilities could be denied:
- Health insurance coverage
- Home and community based services
- Supportive housing
- Job training
- and much more
The House of Representatives will vote on the Ryan budget plan this Friday, April 15. We must let them know that this plan is just plain wrong for America. Please call your Representative this week. Call toll free: 1-866-922-4970. If the line is busy, please enter your zip code in the “call now” box located on the Arc.org’s website to obtain the District Office phone number.
Below is a sample of what you can say to your Representative:
- I am a person with a disability or parent/caregiver of a person with a disability. (Briefly describe your situation, if you like.)
- The Ryan budget plan will take funding from people with disabilities to pay for tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. And it does almost nothing to reduce the federal deficit.
- A Medicaid block grant would be devastating for me/my family member.
- Please vote against the Ryan budget proposal.
For more information please visit this web page setup by the Arc. Thank you!